Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Gamla me fool cha, yo lekh ma bhool cha


As I was hearing the lepcha stories until late last night I treated myself to a late morning sleep. After a round of lovingly served bed tea by charmith, I sat down with Isaac -the jeejaji.. to go through a bundle of old letters and cards he had painstakingly preserved since his school years. Autograph book, cards and letters by Rachna, old photographs, these are priceless treasures of your childhood. They have the sheer innocence of childhood which we have lost somewhere down the line, they bring back the sights and smells which you had long forgotten..I could give all my tomorrows for a single yesterday!
We had a leisurely lunch and decided to walk around Thimpu and buy me a kira! Oh the kira! I had been long excited about, it was the top item on my list of things to buy!

All of them are a collector's delight. So I gave in to the shopaholic in me and bought as much as I could.
We started with the kira. I had a bottle green tegu or upper jacket in mind, to match it we found a white honjoo or undercloth. The kira or the long skirt was a multicolour traditonal one which looked just all right with the whole ensemble.
I had my heart set on a mask so I bought two of them, a small red one for my office desk and a bigger guru rinpoche mask for home.
Also I bought a thaka painting of a dragon for home and more ancient coins for my scrap book. Well that was not all, Isaac gifted me handmade soaps, fridge magnets etc. Phew! I am being treated like a princess here! Will miss all this pampering :)
Then we went to the town vegetable market to see the variety of vegetables, rices, cheese, fruits, mushrooms, spices etc. on display. The best thing is that all of them are organically grown in bhutan. Everything is so flavourful and delicious that I cannot resist bigger portions and second helpings. I saw some exotic varities of fruits and vegetables which are indigenous to bhutan.
Then I had decided to treat my hosts with some indian cooking. We bought milkmaid, brown bread and nuts for double ka meetha my signature sweet dish (thanks to sanjeev kapoor on food food channel)
and cornflour and white til for honey chilli potato a very common street food of india but unknown to bhutan.
Back home I made coffee for all, made frothy with beating sugar and coffee together and served piping hot with chocolate granules.
Then came double ka meetha a crunchy nutty sweetdish made of bread, milk and sigar syrup.
Followed by honey chilli potato which were enhanced by bhutan chillies to taste spicier than they do in india. I was quite pleased with the outcome and the family's approval of these dishes.
Before I finish a word for kind and considerate Isaac-the jeejaji for helping me in the kitchen despite a broken finger of the right hand still in plaster.  You are totally adorable jeejs! I am very happy for my sister indeed.
The five of us..Me, Jeejaji, Renmith, charmith and sonam..went to the town handicraft market to select a kira for me. Zorig chusum or the 13 handicrafts of bhutan are displayed in the handicrafts market in several tiny hut like structures. They have kiras, hand woven fabrics, hand made baskets, thaka paintings, mandals, toys, instruments, hand woven bags, mufflers, scarfs and endless such items.
As I was joking with Rachna, it felt if I was on a cultural exchange programme.
Well come tomorrow there are yoga lessons on the chanel and  buddha point and botanical gardens to see! Excited am I? Oh yes..so off to dreamland..gnnite from bhutan :)


No comments: