Friday, July 31, 2015

My tryst with Bharatnatyam

Bharatnatyam, a 5000 year old Indian dance form is still practiced and enjoyed by many dancers and patrons around the globe. The graceful art still has its roots and references to the oldest Indian text on dance, natyashastra and abhinay darpan. 

My tryst with Bharatnatyam started casually enough when I was looking around to join some form of Indian classical dance and chanced upon a Bharatnatyam class near my house.

While I was in India the dance class did not have a separate batch for working women and I started naively with 6 year olds..for once I was the tallest student of the class at 5' 2" and boy! what infectious energy and enthusiasm the kids have. I struggled to match pace all the while learning the Adavus or basic dances stances in Bharatnatyam. We also learnt the various Shlokas describing various bhedas (hand /neck/head/eyes etc.) 
Like most classical art forms the education in Bharatnatyam is also oral best delivered by an able guru or a teacher. It lays emphasis on a respectful relationship between the teacher and the student, each class starting with a namaskaram to the teacher and God.

When I had graduated from basic steps to korve, garland of gestures as they are called, I got a chance to perform for my company's foundation day.

A like minded friend immediately came to assistance and together we choreographed a dance on Harivansh Rai  Bachhans Classic poem " koshish karne walo ki haar nahi hoti" ~ translated those who persevere never lose.
Here's the full poem

Bharatnatyam dances usually choreographed on Tamil poems were reintrepreted for North Indian audience and was very well accepted. 

Here's my picture in full costume.
Link to performance:
When I moved to Singapore after my marriage I was determined to continue my dance education. 
I am currently learning under Alpana arts Clementi centre. 
Arya my teacher has had her dance education from kalashetra, a renowned university in music and performing arts in India. Her graceful movements are testimonial to years of hard work that go into making of a dancer. She's not only a wonderful dancer, but also a very kind and helpful teacher.
In the video below my teacher Arya demonstrates patakha hasta vinoyoga.

No comments: